Announcement

Collapse

REPORTING THREADS

I know that I'm not around enough, as are none of the other moderators, and I apologize for all of us as a whole.

BUT! Please please please report posts that shouldn't be here. We don't allow the sale of puppies or kittens, but let's all be honest here, the sale of any pet is frowned upon. Being rude or nasty to each other is strongly discouraged. And spamming will get you banned for life.

WE depend on YOU-the loyal members of this forum, to let us know when someone is posting something that is against the forum rules.

Thank you all!
Lisa
See more
See less

Is Caging Your Farm Animals Cruel Confinement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Caging Your Farm Animals Cruel Confinement?

Many people find it difficult to draw the line between domestication and cruel confinement of farm animals. Take for instance hens. You can't just allow your egg laying hens to roam freely in the farm because they are going to lay eggs in hidden places, which is a loss on your part. But in some quarters, animal rights activists caging as cruel confinement. So my question is: Where do you draw the line? Let's discuss this people.
    Her love for you is real, treat her right.

I honestly don't know about hens, but if you're pet is something like a dog, you should't keep it locked up the whole time. You need to set a time to take it for a walk or something - games,competition, just something to keep it fit. It surely needs that.

Comment

Originally posted by purfect View Post
      I honestly don't know about hens, but if you're pet is something like a dog, you should't keep it locked up the whole time. You need to set a time to take it for a walk or something - games,competition, just something to keep it fit. It surely needs that.
      Very tru, you need to give them time to get out and stretch a bit. For caging, the pet should not feel constrained as if in prison.
      Pets are humanizing. They remind us we have an obligation and responsibility to preserve and nurture and care for all life.

Comment

Exactly. Well, you could keep it caged when you are trying to protect it from running into trouble either accidents or anything like that. Indoor pets are known to live longer than outdoor pets. Basically. if you're not locking your pet, ensure that is safe in it's surrounding.

Comment

I know but you see civil societies argue that domesticating farm animals like pigs, hens, cows and goats is a crime. It is commonsense to cage a farm animal because that is the whole essence of domesticating it.

Comment

That depends on your definition of "domesticated"?
            We do have hens and they are free range birds. Chickens are basically creatures of habit. They come out at the same time each day and go in the same time each night. They like to roost is the same place and they like to lay their eggs in the same place every time unless something gives them a reason to change locations.
            So while our chickens are free range they don't go laying their eggs just anywhere. they also like to follow us everywhere we go and one or two will even let you walk up to her and pick her up.
            As for the other animals, We also raise goats.
            I don't know if you call it "caging" but we do have a huge pasture that our goats are in normally, but we do let them out regularly to free range as well.
            They stay on the property. They come when we call them. They love to come up to get some 'love' just like any other of our pets, but they are livestock, and we do differentiate between the two.
            We would butcher our chickens and goats for food, however we obviously wouldn't even consider our dog or cat as a food source.
            I don't necessarily agree with confining any animal in a small space. There is more to life for these creatures then to just be a 'prodcuer' for us.
            That is why when our hens stop laying we don't automatically get rid of them or have them butchered like most people would do.
            They live out there 'elder' years here because they still have a purpose in life. For one, they still are wonderful at pest control.
            We often joke that we are running a retirement home for chickens, lol!
            Would you then say our animals are domesticated?

Comment

Registered male and female capuchin monkeys for adoption We will always be available to help you with any questions or concerns you have about your new family member.WE are licensed by FWC and USDA # 58-C-0418.We are seeking a new and permanent home for our monkeys.they are vet checked,potty,diaper,bottle and crate trained.they are very socialized,got very warm temperaments and are playmate for kids and adults. they going to give you a lifetime of smiles.If interested and ready to give this monkey loving home, Please feel free to contact text (479) 289-9739

Comment

Available Babies Capuchin Monkey's Send us a message (479) 289-9739

Registered male and female capuchin monkeys for adoption We will always be available to help you with any questions or concerns you have about your new family member.WE are licensed by FWC and USDA # 58-C-0418.We are seeking a new and permanent home for our monkeys.they are vet checked,potty,diaper,bottle and crate trained.they are very socialized,got very warm temperaments and are playmate for kids and adults. they going to give you a lifetime of smiles.If interested and ready to give this monkey loving home, Please feel free to contact text (479) 289-9739Click image for larger version

Name:	7658490.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	751034

Comment

Registered male and female capuchin monkeys for adoption We will always be available to help you with any questions or concerns you have about your new family member.WE are licensed by FWC and USDA # 58-C-0418.We are seeking a new and permanent home for our monkeys.they are vet checked,potty,diaper,bottle and crate trained.they are very socialized,got very warm temperaments and are playmate for kids and adults. they going to give you a lifetime of smiles.If interested and ready to give this monkey loving home, Please feel free to contact text (479) 289-9739Click image for larger version

Name:	7658490.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	751035

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalFamily View Post
                    That depends on your definition of "domesticated"?
                    We do have hens and they are free range birds. Chickens are basically creatures of habit. They come out at the same time each day and go in the same time each night. They like to roost is the same place and they like to lay their eggs in the same place every time unless something gives them a reason to change locations.
                    So while our chickens are free range they don't go laying their eggs just anywhere. they also like to follow us everywhere we go and one or two will even let you walk up to her and pick her up.
                    As for the other animals, We also raise goats.
                    I don't know if you call it "caging" but we do have a huge pasture that our goats are in normally, but we do let them out regularly to free range as well.
                    They stay on the property. They come when we call them. They love to come up to get some 'love' just like any other of our pets, but they are livestock, and we do differentiate between the two.
                    We would butcher our chickens and goats for food, however we obviously wouldn't even consider our dog or cat as a food source.
                    I don't necessarily agree with confining any animal in a small space. There is more to life for these creatures then to just be a 'prodcuer' for us.
                    That is why when our hens stop laying we don't automatically get rid of them or have them butchered like most people would do.
                    They live out there 'elder' years here because they still have a purpose in life. For one, they still are wonderful at pest control.
                    We often joke that we are running a retirement home for chickens, lol!
                    Would you then say our animals are domesticated?
                    I completely agree with you. However, when you domesticate other animals like pigs and you don't let them go free at any time, animal rights organizations will see that as caging, which can land you into trouble with authorities. So, where do you draw the line? Tricky, huh?

Comment

I think i get what Animal Family is saying. As much as you want to set them free you cannot really let them off the propery as that again will seem like neglect. I think there is always a way to strike a balance, let them be free while at the same time somehow be there to watch over them. There is no way you want your goat crossing the road in some other part of town alone.

Comment

Originally posted by purfect View Post
                        I think i get what Animal Family is saying. As much as you want to set them free you cannot really let them off the propery as that again will seem like neglect. I think there is always a way to strike a balance, let them be free while at the same time somehow be there to watch over them. There is no way you want your goat crossing the road in some other part of town alone.
                        Purfect, my point exactly. There is no way someone should condemn me for keeping my cows in a shed. The tricky part is when you have too many cows in one shed. That might cause congestion, which is deemed as caging.

Comment

Working...
                        X