Announcement

Collapse

REPORTING THREADS

I know that I'm not around enough, as are none of the other moderators, and I apologize for all of us as a whole.

BUT! Please please please report posts that shouldn't be here. We don't allow the sale of puppies or kittens, but let's all be honest here, the sale of any pet is frowned upon. Being rude or nasty to each other is strongly discouraged. And spamming will get you banned for life.

WE depend on YOU-the loyal members of this forum, to let us know when someone is posting something that is against the forum rules.

Thank you all!
Lisa
See more
See less

So, you think you want a horse?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, you think you want a horse?

I have owned, shown, raised, trained, driven and ridden many types and breeds of horses, ponies, donkeys and mules. Two of my minimules won ADMS National Versatility of Fame Awards. I had to work hard on the farm, out in the hay fields, waiting on the farrier, worming, giving shots, colic, you know how it goes. I agree with everything you said. I had to be completely and utterly obcessed with taking care of my herd. I couldn't even go anywhere. Who could take care of all of the farm animals that I also kept --- like milk goats.
    Anyway, I hope people who think they want a horse will read and take your post seriously. I live in the city now and don't miss having to slop around in the mud on a rainy morning, doing chores. I have a lot of small animals that are also time consuming and have their own needs.
    Write me back if you'd like.
    Lesley

Comment

I like to have one but unfortunately it is expensive but I ride horse when ever I like.
      The cool Tangalle Beach Villas and best wedding hotels in sri lanka.

Comment

Someone told me that you need to be below 55 kg in weight in order to be a horse jockey. So does that horse have like a maximum weight for you to ride them?
        Her love for you is real, treat her right.

Comment

Horses are a big responsibility

Comment

You know what, you are right. You can't just live your horse in the mud or underfeed her and expect her to love you back. If you can't take good care of a donkey, then don't waste your money buying one.
            Her love for you is real, treat her right.

Comment

I've always known that horses are a biiiig responsibility, no pun intended. For now I'll just stick to feeding them at the stables.
              IIIIII'm, gonna swiiiiiing, from the scratching postttt, from the scratching pooosssst! - Chimmy.

Comment

I am also a pet lover, but my ability can not feed a horse because of funding, not enough time.
                Admin: china airlines,
                Ve may bay di San Francisco
                Ve may bay di New York
                Ve may bay di Los Angeles
                Ve may bay di Vancouver

Comment

Yeah that could be an issue. I didn't have a horse until I moved away from the city. But never give up on your dreams, one day you might have a horse of your own!

Comment

Bump. I know this thread has been dead for a while now (thanks to all these malaysian spammers). But yeah. For whoever is interested I have helped making a book called Little book of horse poop. Let me know if anyone finds it interesting!

Comment

You need to be totally prepared both financially and emotionally before owning a horse, that's the sad truth.
                      Pets are our beloved friends lets treat them with compassion

Comment

I really wanted to have a a horse! They were beautiful creature. <3 ^_^

Comment

I've owned horses for 35 years. I bred one and raised another from a yearling. It is true that they are expensive and a huge commitment but the rewards of having them are far greater than the time and work involved. I have always boarded my horses. When I first started out, the barn was 10 minutes from home but with the development of local farmlands, I'm now driving 70 minutes to get there. Costs have gone way up, as well. At one time I was boarding two horses and a pony for under $900. all together. Now, average board in my area is $1000 plus 13% tax.

My advice to anyone who wants to get involved with horses would be to take some lessons in a riding school and then try part-boarding a horse for a while. That way you don't have all of the expense of owning your own and you have knowledgeable people around while you are learning. If it for a young person, try to find a pony club. They are awesome.

Comment

Working...
                          X