Announcement

Collapse

REPORTING THREADS

I know that I'm not around enough, as are none of the other moderators, and I apologize for all of us as a whole.

BUT! Please please please report posts that shouldn't be here. We don't allow the sale of puppies or kittens, but let's all be honest here, the sale of any pet is frowned upon. Being rude or nasty to each other is strongly discouraged. And spamming will get you banned for life.

WE depend on YOU-the loyal members of this forum, to let us know when someone is posting something that is against the forum rules.

Thank you all!
Lisa
See more
See less

5 Gallon tank friendly fish :) ?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Gallon tank friendly fish :) ?????

Me and my boy friend recently got a five gallon tank seeing we were not aloud to go any bigger in the place we are renting. We do have a couple ghost shrimp in there but that is all because we have not decided on what kind of fish to get. I have had fish most of my life though but always had large breeds of fish never such a small tank. So i am just wondering if there is a interesting small breed of fish that is easy to care for and easy to breed, my friend had guppies and i like how there are little babies around makes the fish exsperience so much funner i find..... anyways so i gues my question is can someone give me a list of fish that are happy in a five gallon tank with filter and heater and easy to breed thanks. that way i can look through the list and research them all because i don;t like to own something untill i have done a good amout of research. thanks

The most common rule for tank stocking is no more than 1 inch of fish per gallon...so if you have 2 ghost shrimp, you've already used up about 2 inches (2 gallons). You can safely put three 1 inch fish into the tank..or two 1 1/2 inch fish. It's not large enough to breed anything. The problem is that water can only absorb so much oxygen over a certain period of time. Tanks with more water surface area do better than tall tanks, as a result. If the fish don't have enough oxygen, they won't survive. Bubblers really only circulate the water so the oxygen is evenly distributed, they don't really add much oxygen--it comes from the surface.

You may be able to keep 3 neon tetras, or a couple of zebra danios. I would not get guppies, as they will breed...and then you'll have the problem of an overstocked tank.

Comment

Working...
    X