Announcement

Collapse

REPORTING THREADS

I know that I'm not around enough, as are none of the other moderators, and I apologize for all of us as a whole.

BUT! Please please please report posts that shouldn't be here. We don't allow the sale of puppies or kittens, but let's all be honest here, the sale of any pet is frowned upon. Being rude or nasty to each other is strongly discouraged. And spamming will get you banned for life.

WE depend on YOU-the loyal members of this forum, to let us know when someone is posting something that is against the forum rules.

Thank you all!
Lisa
See more
See less

How can I stop or prevent my puppy from biting me??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I stop or prevent my puppy from biting me??

My little dog (Siberian Husky -- 3 months old) always likes to biting me andother members in the family. Though we scold him or hit him (not so hard, of dourse) or even punish him , he keeps doing so. In fact, he does have his toys(a lot, actually). Why he keeps chewing my arms? What can I do?? And if I do nothing, this kind of behaviour will continue until he dies or grows up???
    Last edited by kathy_aa25; 04-06-2004, 07:19 AM.

Hi and welcome

Try keeping toys available at all times, when he starts to bite your arm, redirect him to a toy... you definately want to discourage him biting you, even if its play biting. Its natural for puppies to bite when they play.. they started out that way play biting their litter mates . Good luck!.

Comment

Doesn't make sense to try to condition out an aggressive behavior with aggression, does it? Essentially, you are saying "When I don't like what you do, I let you know in a physical way." I did that at first too, when my puppy was younger, and it absolutely didn't work. He either thought I was playing or he would get really upset and lose interest in playing at all. So....whenever he'd try to bite, I'd withdraw my hand and say an over-exaggerated "Oooowwww!" and pretend like it really hurt. So he'd try again, much softer, and I'd do it again. Now, when we are rough-housing, he stops the second I say ow. Maybe that combined with replacing your arm with a toy would work. Give it a shot-you and your puppy will probably like it much more than physical punishment.

Comment

If he keeps biting what i did is when my pup started to bit me hard i would bite him back.And ask did it hurt i would bite him hard enough that he would scream out a cry that broke him.Thats what my cusion did to his bull dog to it works great to

Comment

I don't think you need to bite him hard enough that he cries. I have bitten my dog back a couple times, if he chewed my hand I would LIGHTLY nibble his paw. Dogs somehow know that's unnatural, and he gave me a weird, scared look and stopped chewing/biting me...for the time being at least...try a combination of things, eventually your dog will get the picture.

Comment

Ihave a 4 month old and having the same problem , golden retriever and bites EVERYTHING. Im sooo tired of saying NO, BAD...!!! Redirecting him to toys does not help. The vet said it doesnt hurt to spank their butt and say No. But it makes him all the more aggressive. Im at my wits end with this puppy cause he has hurt my boyfriends 12 year old daughter by playfully biting her. He is so aggressive. Newspaper doesnt scare him. Rocks in a can , shaking them....thats a joke. I really dont know what the answer is. I finally give up and put him outside or in his crate even tho they say dont use the crate as a punishment. I dont know what else to do. Im with ya!

Comment

Well this may sound a little crude but Jake was a little tyrant when he was just 8 weeks old, our vets advice was to make him bite himself, how you do that is place you hand on the top of their muzzle and squezze gently or roll however you want to say it his lips onto his teeth when he's biting therefore he bites his own lips, I don't know if I'm explaining this well enough I hope so, Jake learned pretty quick not to bite any more. And we always associated that with the command NO BITE stearnly. It may not work with every dog, just a suggestion. GOOD LUCK!
              http://community.webshots.com/user/suesphotos101

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

Dogs make us human.

Sue

Comment

i have a ten week old husky whose exactly the same so you are not alone, i have read quite a bit on this subject and they all say positively redirect his attention to toys, however this appears to work momentarily but then he'l be off again, its important you have every member of your house doing this, mine now has started to shred paper and toilet rolls, i keep thinking of a muzzle but hate the contraptions, any thoughts on that?

Comment

ps im scared he will eat so much paper he will hurt himself?

Comment

Originally posted by luckiestlady View Post
                    Ihave a 4 month old and having the same problem , golden retriever and bites EVERYTHING. Im sooo tired of saying NO, BAD...!!! Redirecting him to toys does not help. The vet said it doesnt hurt to spank their butt and say No. But it makes him all the more aggressive. Im at my wits end with this puppy cause he has hurt my boyfriends 12 year old daughter by playfully biting her. He is so aggressive. Newspaper doesnt scare him. Rocks in a can , shaking them....thats a joke. I really dont know what the answer is. I finally give up and put him outside or in his crate even tho they say dont use the crate as a punishment. I dont know what else to do. Im with ya!
                    Your vet doesn't understand dogs and dog psychology much....then again most vets really don't. Spanking is what we do to humans, we shouldn't humanize dogs anyway. A wolf pack....a wolf bites the muzzle of the pup when they persist on being a pain. Spanking a dog....just like someone pushing a dog with their hand only intensifies the problem, they will play/fight back more. Different things like doing obedience with him, hand feeding, walking him....all create a bond with a dog. Redirecting can help with some dogs.....but not all. 100% positive reinforcement does not always work either like many behaviorist suggest. Kathy....and HappyHuskies I'll try to shoot you a private message late tonight. I'm familiar with these little monsters lol. I'm leaving for a work in a little while so I'll try to send one tonight or tomorrow to both of you guys.

Update luckiestlady I'll try to send you one also later.

Comment

Originally posted by Husky06 View Post
                      Your vet doesn't understand dogs and dog psychology much....then again most vets really don't. Spanking is what we do to humans, we shouldn't humanize dogs anyway. A wolf pack....a wolf bites the muzzle of the pup when they persist on being a pain. Spanking a dog....just like someone pushing a dog with their hand only intensifies the problem, they will play/fight back more. Different things like doing obedience with him, hand feeding, walking him....all create a bond with a dog. Redirecting can help with some dogs.....but not all. 100% positive reinforcement does not always work either like many behaviorist suggest. Kathy....and HappyHuskies I'll try to shoot you a private message late tonight. I'm familiar with these little monsters lol. I'm leaving for a work in a little while so I'll try to send one tonight or tomorrow to both of you guys.

Update luckiestlady I'll try to send you one also later.
                      The original thread is five years old so you may not reach the earlier posters.

I'm sure you can help the new member though. I'm not a dog person but wanted to remind happyhuskies that her dog is just a baby and it takes a lot of work, love and patience for babies to learn. I'm sure you will give excellent advice about how to train the pup.

Comment

Originally posted by special View Post
                        The original thread is five years old so you may not reach the earlier posters.

I'm sure you can help the new member though. I'm not a dog person but wanted to remind happyhuskies that her dog is just a baby and it takes a lot of work, love and patience for babies to learn. I'm sure you will give excellent advice about how to train the pup.
                        rotfl haha......I didn't realize it was that old....I just noticed a new comment on this post. Thanks for informing me on that.

Comment

biting is a sign of aggression and should be corrected as early as you can...
                          It's a dog eat dog world, Woody, and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Originally posted by xpalaboyx View Post
                            biting is a sign of aggression and should be corrected as early as you can...
                            Puppies biting is not a sign of aggression. Please don't make such statements, a new puppy owner might read this, and become worried.
                            Where fur and feather meet.....

My Beloved Parrots

My German Shepherd Dogs

The Cat!

Comment

Originally posted by Macawpower58 View Post
                              Puppies biting is not a sign of aggression. Please don't make such statements, a new puppy owner might read this, and become worried.
                              lol, the Mambo grandpups I posted pictures of one time would be extremely aggressive according to her then. Biting sleeves, pant legs, back of shirt, ect ect. It's typically either prey drive or just puppy antics. Not aggression at all.....I did forget to send this user a pm to help on the subject.

Comment

Working...
                              X