Announcement

Collapse

REPORTING THREADS

I know that I'm not around enough, as are none of the other moderators, and I apologize for all of us as a whole.

BUT! Please please please report posts that shouldn't be here. We don't allow the sale of puppies or kittens, but let's all be honest here, the sale of any pet is frowned upon. Being rude or nasty to each other is strongly discouraged. And spamming will get you banned for life.

WE depend on YOU-the loyal members of this forum, to let us know when someone is posting something that is against the forum rules.

Thank you all!
Lisa
See more
See less

Swelling and redness on lower lips??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swelling and redness on lower lips??

Hi!

Our 3 yr old German Shepherd, Kai, has suddenly developed a problem with his lower lips. On both sides of the muzzle, his lips are red, slightly swollen and no longer resting firmly against the jaw. He hasn't eaten or been exposed to anything new which might have caused an allergy attack and there are no signs of insect bites or abrasions.

Since his appetite and over-all health are ok, the vet said to observe the problem over the weekend and call them again on Monday, but meanwhile our Kai Kai is experiencing some discomfort (only mild) and I'm experiencing some panic (not as mild ). I'm afraid of a possible baceterial infection, although that may be totally unwarranted.

Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Thanks!

a close-up of Kai's lip:
    http://tinyurl.com/2u2tw

a few more pics of his lip and muzzle:
    http://www.picturetrail.com/kpelle

I'm sorry, I dont have any answers for you, but if Kai seems to be in pain, I would give him some asprin (double check with your vet on the dosage). I know my little dog (21lbs) can only have one children's asprin, but larger dogs are usually fine with 1 or 1 half of an adult asprin.
    I looked on the pet symptom solver website and didnt see anything like Kai is experiencing exactly.
    Here is the site if you want to take a look: http://www.ivillage.com/pets/petsymp...501273,00.html
    My first thought is infection (which could be something very mild) or an insect bite or sting even if you cant see the mark.

I hope its one of those things that just goes away. Keep us updated.
    Last edited by mirrasmom; 07-09-2004, 09:34 PM.
    ~"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans anymore than blacks were for whites or women for men" - Alice Walker~

http://www.freewebs.com/helpmekeephelpinganimals/

Comment

Is it possible he may have got his mouth stuck in the fence, if you have a chain link fencem it sounds like from your description he may have gotten stuck on something or he was chewing on something if it's just at the corners of his mouth.

Oops didn't see you had pics of him, and might I say he is a very handsome boy, but I would still say I would wait and don't panic to much it doesn't look to bad from the pics, give it a couple of days and go from there. Good luck and keep us posted.
      http://community.webshots.com/user/suesphotos101

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

Dogs make us human.

Sue

Comment

I agree with Cat&Dog mom I think it looks like he was chewing on something he shouldn't have, such as the fence or something. I would wait and see what happens. I looks like it might heal up soon. Btw, he is a beautiful dog!
        Missing being a pet parent, but will be again some day when the situation allows it...Rest in Peace Willow my aussie girl-sept.19 2010, sweet Satin bunny Oct 1999-Jan 10 2006 and Tinsle chinchilla 2004-Jan.23 2008, Shiloh beagle dog June 23rd 1994-April 17th 2008, Grace chinchilla Dec. 26th 2003 -July 2008, Kit chihuahua Dec 1997-2009.

Comment

I'm sorry that I don't have any suggestions for you, my dogs always look like that! (They have droopy jaws) However since GSD's don't usually look like that I can see where you were worried. But I agree with the others that it doesn't LOOK like anything serious and if he is eating and drinking that's a good sign too. I have also given my dogs asprin, they can have 3 (81 mg) at a time and they weigh just over 100 lbs. Just make sure it is plain uncoated aspirin. Let us know what the vet says if you end up taking him!

Comment

Any update on Kai?
            ~"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans anymore than blacks were for whites or women for men" - Alice Walker~

http://www.freewebs.com/helpmekeephelpinganimals/

Comment

Any update on Kai - my dog same problem

Any update on Kai? - my 6year old cocker spaniel is having the same problem and I would like to know what worked. Did it take medication?
              It started on one side of his mouth and then after a couple of days started to spread to the other side of his mouth. I tried benadryl for a couple of days but with no success. We just came from the vet and she was a bit confused as well but said it looks like an allergic reaction to something and so she gave him a shot of prednisone - let's hope it works.

Comment

Hi Pengwen -

I have a little dog that has mouth sores, but his does not look like the pictures of your dog. Just by looking at the pictures it looks as if his lips are swollen pretty good. Did the Vet start him on an antibiotic to see if that will help? Also, I always have prednisone on hand for my dachshund because he will occasionally develope swelling. Prednisone is a steriod used to decrease inflamation and also for breating for problems. Mirasmom suggested aspirin which is a good idea, because that will also reduce the inflamation which in turn will reduce any pain assoccioated with the swelling.
                Have you looked in his mouth for sores, ulcers or lesions? Does his breath smell bad - and I mean really bad like rotten meat? I smell Bubby's breath (my dachshund) every day because that is one of the ways how I know if he is getting worse. If your dog has a sore inside of his mouth it could make the outside swell.
                Best wishes!
                Becky
                Bubba, Daisy, Lilly, Rosie, Willy and Blossom ~my dachshund six pack~
                ~If you can eat the same thing day after day and never complain, if you can forgive and never remind the one you forgave, if you can love unconditionally no matter how you have been treated, then my friend, you are almost as good as your dog.~ Dr. James Dobson
                sigpic

Keep on running, Bubba!

Comment

Not sores and not getting better

I can tell you that it is not sores on my dog. My cocker has the same problem right now and the prednisone shot has done very little to help the swelling and redness of his lips. I have searched the internet and come across another case of this same thing, however just like this one, there is no update on the outcome. I am not sure what to do next as he has already seen the vet. Should I just wait and see if it starts to go away - it doesn't seem to be getting any worse right now but nothing seems to be helping. I am a bit surprised that the vet didn't try antibiotics as well but the swelling isn't bright red as seen in bacterial infections and it's not getting worse
                  SO FRUSTRATING!!!

Comment

immune disorder in mine

I have learned recently that my little guy probably has an immune disorder casing his problems - but he is going to be okay. I had to take him to a big Veterinary teaching hospital at Ohio State University to get the answers. They are excellent there. I highly recommend a teaching hospital if your primary vet is having problems diagnosing the cause of the swelling.
                    Becky
                    ~If you can eat the same thing day after day and never complain, if you can forgive and never remind the one you forgave, if you can love unconditionally no matter how you have been treated, then my friend, you are almost as good as your dog.~ Dr. James Dobson
                    sigpic

Keep on running, Bubba!

Comment

Getting better

Just wanted to update you all.
                      Bailey is slowly getting better. It has been almost two weeks now since the swelling showed up. The swelling has been going down VERY slowly. There is still a little bit but you can tell from looking at him now, just how bad the swelling was. Still not sure what caused it, but at least we see a good amount of improvement.

Comment

Possible bad reaction to Biospot

Well, I just put on Bailey's Biospot the other day and it took just a couple of days and his mouth started to swell again. I didn't make the connection at first but when I did, WOW there seems to be a lot of problems with using Biospot on the internet. Including bad reactions, seizures and more. I washed the stuff off of him and it hasn't gotten any worse in the last few days. So I think I might have found the problem. Search the internet for Biospot and you come up with some bad stuff!!

Comment

Give your dog some Benadryl to help stop the allergic reaction. My liitle one has taken 12.5mg in the past, so I'm sure that your German Shepard can easily handle a full 25mg.

I'm glad you found the problem!
                          Becky
                          sigpic

Keep on running, Bubba!

Comment

Has anyone found out anything about the swollen floppy lip symptoms? My shepherd has the same symptoms. The vets don't know what is the cause...

Comment

Originally posted by looplocal
                              Has anyone found out anything about the swollen floppy lip symptoms? My shepherd has the same symptoms. The vets don't know what is the cause...
                              Read up above, it may be something he's licking off that you've applied topically or maybe even after you mop or something he's licking the floor?

I know, also...sometimes, drinking and eating out of plastic bowls will cause red, irritated, swollen lips.

Comment

Working...
                              X