Announcement

Collapse

REPORTING THREADS

I know that I'm not around enough, as are none of the other moderators, and I apologize for all of us as a whole.

BUT! Please please please report posts that shouldn't be here. We don't allow the sale of puppies or kittens, but let's all be honest here, the sale of any pet is frowned upon. Being rude or nasty to each other is strongly discouraged. And spamming will get you banned for life.

WE depend on YOU-the loyal members of this forum, to let us know when someone is posting something that is against the forum rules.

Thank you all!
Lisa
See more
See less

Can Rabbits transmit Parvo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Rabbits transmit Parvo?

For about a week or two we had a wild rabbit in our yard. We just brought home a new lab puppy and she uses the yard for the bathroom. Can rabbits transmit parvo? Just want to make sure, I cant find anything that confirms this, but i thought I would ask to be on the safe side. Thanks!

It's possible they could track it in from other dogs in the neighborhood, over grass, etc, but they do not carry parvo as a host. Parvo can live up to 1 year in the soil, so I wouldn't take chances.
    You can think that I'm wrong, but don't stop thinking.
    - House

Comment

Parvo actually lives a lot longer than a year, but no rabbits aren't hosts. It only affects dogs. But, I agree...it could have been carried in by the rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jennicat View Post
        It's possible they could track it in from other dogs in the neighborhood, over grass, etc, but they do not carry parvo as a host. Parvo can live up to 1 year in the soil, so I wouldn't take chances.
        Parvo can live up to 7 years anywhere and so far they have studied and 7 years is what they know of so far so it can actually live anywhere for at least 7 years but no one knows for how long it actually lives. Now the only thing that can kill parvo is bleach but if you spray it in your yard you'll have to do treatments like every 2 days to keep it gone, a dog 2 years and older can not get parvo but if they are around another animal with parvo they will carry the virus (they will not get sick from the virus. They will not have parvo.) but they do carry the virus and can give it to other pets especially dogs under 2 years of age.

Comment

Working...
        X