Announcement

Collapse

REPORTING THREADS

I know that I'm not around enough, as are none of the other moderators, and I apologize for all of us as a whole.

BUT! Please please please report posts that shouldn't be here. We don't allow the sale of puppies or kittens, but let's all be honest here, the sale of any pet is frowned upon. Being rude or nasty to each other is strongly discouraged. And spamming will get you banned for life.

WE depend on YOU-the loyal members of this forum, to let us know when someone is posting something that is against the forum rules.

Thank you all!
Lisa
See more
See less

Need help with cat urinating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with cat urinating

Hi, I have a cat that has gotten into the habit of urinating all over the house, mainly on clothing. She is 4 years old. Her behavior changed after my 21-month-old daughter was born. Before my daughter was born, my cat never had an accident. By the cat's behavior, it seems obvious that the behavior is on purpose. The cat has not been fixed.

My question is: should I try having the cat fixed first or should I try something else to see if we can get her to stop urinating all over the house? My wife wants very much to get rid of the cat and I am trying to resolve the situation without having to get rid of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome to pet lovers. Yes, please have kitty spayed. four years of heats would drive any cat crazy. Plus she is at risk for many serious illnesses such as uterine cancer and pyrometra.

Make an appointment for a check up first to make sure she doesn't have a urinary tract infection as that is the number one reason for inappropriate urination in cats. Once she gets the clean bill of health a spay should be the next step.

Perhaps you can explain to your wife in a nice way that cats are not disposable objects to be "got rid of" at the first sign of trouble. I am glad to hear you do not feel the same way as she does.

Four years of heat cycles is very very hard on a cat. Once she is deemed healthy, and spayed things will be better.

You will have to removed all traces of urine smell, and that wil be a very big job. How its done is to go around with a black light, that will show up the spots (and maybe some other yucky stuff too, haha)

Then you will need to use an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle. Other members may have other products they like, and I know one person who swears by plain vinegar. Even if you can't smell it she will be able to so it is very important that all traces are removed.

She may need retraining. After her spay, I mean This is done by keeping her in a small area, very small bathroom, for example, with her litter box and food, for a couple of weeks. Cats do not like to urinate where they eat. So, with a small area, she will be forced to use the litter box, to avoid peeing near her dishes.

You might also think about investing in a couple of feliway plug ins. this will help her feel more secure and calm.

http://www.petcomfortzone.com/comfortzone_feliway.htm

Welcome to pet lovers and please let us know how things go.

Comment

feliway plug ins

Special, Can you tell me more about these feliway plug ins? I have been hearing about them a lot lately, but not sure what they are. As you know, we recently moved to another state and I want anything possible to make my kitty feel more comfortable in his new area.
      Luxury Dogs
      Let's Talk Dogs

Comment

Nevermind, I just saw the link in your post. I can be a real dork sometimes
        Luxury Dogs
        Let's Talk Dogs

Comment

Originally posted by silkflorals View Post
          Special, Can you tell me more about these feliway plug ins? I have been hearing about them a lot lately, but not sure what they are. As you know, we recently moved to another state and I want anything possible to make my kitty feel more comfortable in his new area.
          Feliway plug in diffusers are great for helping a cat adjust to a move. They help reduce stress and make kitty feel more secure.

I have posted a link in my reply to this thread (above) that gives information. I buy mine at entirelypets.com, because that is where I have found the best price.

a tip: before purchasing, google entirelypets.com coupon, because you can usually save another five bucks or so with a coupon code.

I love Feliway plug in diffusers.

Rescue Remedy is also a good product to help reduce stress in cats:

http://www.rescueremedy.com/pets/

Comment

Originally posted by silkflorals View Post
            Nevermind, I just saw the link in your post. I can be a real dork sometimes
            don't call yourself a dork, or any other name, TSK! Everyone skims posts and it's easy to miss information. I always vow to read a post more thoroughly the first time, but rarely remember, if I am in a hurry to answer or ask a question.

Comment

Working...
            X