Announcement

Collapse

REPORTING THREADS

I know that I'm not around enough, as are none of the other moderators, and I apologize for all of us as a whole.

BUT! Please please please report posts that shouldn't be here. We don't allow the sale of puppies or kittens, but let's all be honest here, the sale of any pet is frowned upon. Being rude or nasty to each other is strongly discouraged. And spamming will get you banned for life.

WE depend on YOU-the loyal members of this forum, to let us know when someone is posting something that is against the forum rules.

Thank you all!
Lisa
See more
See less

Help! My cat's scared to go out!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! My cat's scared to go out!

Hello,
    I just wondered if anyone had any advice. I have a cat who is 20 months old. He is a very loving, calm cat and likes nothing more than to be cuddled in the warm. He has never scratched us or bit or anything like that. The problem is, he is scared to go out, because another cat keeps picking on him. This other cat is a big cat, and he sleeps in the shed at the end of the garden, i have caught him trying to bite our cat before, and shooed him off lots of times. He is very intimidating, as he sits on the shed roof staring at me and the cat. He isnt scared of me at all!
    The last few months i noticed our cat was coming in, with cuts and limps etc, but he still wanted to go out in the evenings. But for about the last month, he is petrified to go outside. He sits on the doorstep for about 10 mins checking about, then if it's clear he will sneak under the chair, look around for another 10 mins then if its clear again he quickly does he toilet then runs back inside, This is only if i am there. If i stay indoors he wont even go out. At the moment he has 2 big gashes on his head, and he is definitly not the fighting type and it upsets me so much to think he is getting bullied, But because he is not going out, he messes in the house during the night whilst we are all in bed. What should i do and what should i do about the other 'bully' cat? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Can you not give him a litter tray inside? I wouldn't force him out (as in not giving him litter inside) if he doesn't want to go, it's just gonna stress him even more.
    Someone else might have info on keeping other cats out of your garden.

Don't suppose you know who's cat it is? I bet it isn't neutered...
    emily

sigpic

Disclaimer: Any similarities in my posts to anyone or anything real is purely coincidental.
    Please do not take anything I type as fact. I also may not be who I say I am, so don't know anything about anything.

Comment

I agree. The simplest, fasted, safest solution is to get a litterbox. If your cat is afraid to go out you should not make him.

Comment

Hiya,
        Thanks for the advice. I dont make him go outside, now i just keep him in. I think i will start using a litter tray indoors, i feel so sorry for him because i know him and he wouldnt want any trouble and its just upsetting when he came in with those lashes on him.
        How can i stop this cat from coming in my garden on a daily basis? I cant use anything to harsh or extreme as my cat will wonder out there sometimes for 5 mins. I am so worried it will change his whole personality because of this 'bully' cat. Thanks again xxx

Comment

You can buy a raccoon trap at Wal-Mart. It is a humane trap and will not hurt the animal. Bait it with canned cat food or canned tuna. Once you catch it take it to a no kill shelter.

Comment

Wait, it could be someone's cat!
            emily

sigpic

Disclaimer: Any similarities in my posts to anyone or anything real is purely coincidental.
            Please do not take anything I type as fact. I also may not be who I say I am, so don't know anything about anything.

Comment

Cats that I have had will sometimes chill out inside for awhile (weeks, months) after a fight. Maybe your kitty will want to go out again after he "forgets"? Be glad though, I wish mine would stay in. I know it will just be a matter of time before I am at the vet with an abcess from a fight! I pray not. Hopefully the "cuts" you mentioned are ok and healing.

Comment

If it is someone's cat then hopefully they will go claim it at the no kill shelter you drop it off at. You can always post signs up and put an ad on petfinder after you take him in too, so it doesn't look like you are just trying to get rid of the bully cat.

The local animal control might be willing to lend you a trap too. Check out their policies. The cat could be ill if it's so mean.

Comment

Sounds like an un-neutered tom. I think I'd ask around to see if you can find out who owns him, maybe get advice from a local shelter or cat protection organisation.

As for keeping other cats out of your garden - I'm not sure if that's possible

Comment

If I were you i'd just litter train the kitty. You know that indoor cats (i.e. litter trained house recluses) have longer, healthier lives than outdoor cats do?

Comment

Try this to keep the other cats out: Slices of raw onion will keep kitty cats out of your garden. The suggestion is from my Home Remedies thread (http://forums.petlovers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21422)

I also think it is a good idea to make your cat a permanent indoor cat. He might not like it right away, but he will be safe in the long run.
                      [Our Dogs: Chelsea - Lab/Sharpei - 8 years old
                      Storm - Cane Corso - 6 years old
                      Ezri - Beagle - Age Unknown (recent rescue)
                      Jacob - German Rottie - RIP October 13, 2005
                      Click here for pics: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=614608da6b

Life.....is a series of dogs. - George Carlin

Comment

It would be better to trap the big cat and have them both taken to a low cost neuter facility (look for a local cat rescues through Petfinders.com). Any owner who would allow their pet to live in someone else's shed is not worthy of pet ownership.
                        After the two cats settle their hormones they may get along as indoor cats, we've seen that happen many times.

Good luck!

Comment

buy a litter pan for your cat and keep him indoors. The can will be better off in a long way.

Comment

Hi jinxycat,
                            I'm a little late to join the thread, but if the bully is still a problem, one suggestion that no one has given yet is investing in a "super soaker" type of water pistol (If they have those in the UK). They have enough water pressure to reach out and send that bully cat a message from 50' away without actually harming it. There are other models that can spray even further if you need a longer reach. Its usually enough to send any unwanted visitor on its way
                            Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued is just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.
                            - Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

Working...
                            X