Announcement

Collapse

REPORTING THREADS

I know that I'm not around enough, as are none of the other moderators, and I apologize for all of us as a whole.

BUT! Please please please report posts that shouldn't be here. We don't allow the sale of puppies or kittens, but let's all be honest here, the sale of any pet is frowned upon. Being rude or nasty to each other is strongly discouraged. And spamming will get you banned for life.

WE depend on YOU-the loyal members of this forum, to let us know when someone is posting something that is against the forum rules.

Thank you all!
Lisa
See more
See less

Fancy Feast vs Pro Plan cat food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fancy Feast vs Pro Plan cat food

    I have found this extremely interesting, I think this message needs to get out to everyone who has an elderly cat. From my recent experience, it has been brought to my attention that sodium nitrites in cat food cause seizures in elderly cats, and dogs. I have written in before with this message. My cat had seizures for 2 1/2 yrs before I took her off fancy feast which has sodium nitrites. I put her on Pro Plan. PURINA MAKES FANCY FEAST AND PRO PLAN! Isnt it interesting that fancy feast with the dangerous chemicals can be purchased by the masses at the grocery store where most people buy their pet food. It apparently is cheaper to make. While Pro Plan which costs more and is only available at specialty pet stores does not contain sodium nitrites. HMMMMM....do you think Purina might know a little something about this chemical!!!!

  • #2
    It's more than likely more to due with food quality...for instance, in the higher quality foods (way above Pro Plan) you won't find that ingredient or 3/4 of the ingredients in Pro Plan. Just goes to show that good nutrition is VERY important.

    Comment


    • #3
      What is your source regarding sodium nitrites? I can't find any medical inquiry references or such.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by alcoth View Post
        What is your source regarding sodium nitrites? I can't find any medical inquiry references or such.
        Here's the link to the other thread:

        http://forums.petlovers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=44725

        Comment


        • #5
          TY special.

          Marti, I am very happy to hear that this was the solution for you. Can you however please reference the "website", to which you refer, finding this information? Thank you!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by alcoth View Post
            Can you however please reference the "website", to which you refer, finding this information?
            I think that there was only one site (which on the internet ANYTHING can be 'proved'), and while I am skeptical that the ingredient is the cause...I'm glad the cat is not seizing any more.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tiffers View Post
              I think that there was only one site (which on the internet ANYTHING can be 'proved'), and while I am skeptical that the ingredient is the cause...I'm glad the cat is not seizing any more.
              Yeah. Assertion without evidence is sketchy logic at best. If marti can produce a credible source then we may have something. Otherwise it could be any one of the ingredients that one food has which the other doesn't or something else entirely.

              Marti, if you happen upon the thread again please consider my words. I'm not saying that you're wrong about the cause, I'm simply requesting supporting evidence so we can assume correctly. Purina may make some "unhealthy" foods but to accuse them of corruption is quite an allegation.

              Comment


              • #8
                My cat had seizures every 6 months, then every 4 to 6 wks, and then every night. I was desperate, didnt want to use phenobarbital which was recommended by my vet. Checked the internet religiously for an answer. Found sodium nitrites could be a cause. Cat food was loaded with sodium nitrites, took her off that cat food...hasnt had a seizure is 3 months now. Doing quite well now for a 22 yr old cat. Look up sodium nitrites...elderly cats....seizures...I was lucky enough to find this. I hope this works for other people.
                But it is in fancy feast,,,and not Pro Plan...why do you think that is?????

                Comment


                • #9
                  Marti, we are interested in where you found that Sodium Nitrates cause cancer. Jeremy said he can't find any evidence on the internet...?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by marti View Post
                    My cat had seizures every 6 months, then every 4 to 6 wks, and then every night. I was desperate, didnt want to use phenobarbital which was recommended by my vet. Checked the internet religiously for an answer. Found sodium nitrites could be a cause. Cat food was loaded with sodium nitrites, took her off that cat food...hasnt had a seizure is 3 months now. Doing quite well now for a 22 yr old cat. Look up sodium nitrites...elderly cats....seizures...I was lucky enough to find this. I hope this works for other people.
                    But it is in fancy feast,,,and not Pro Plan...why do you think that is?????
                    Higher quality food has higher quality ingredients. My guess, would be that whatever the sodium nitrate does in the fancy feast, something else is used for the same effect in the proplan.

                    Kind of like when baking, if you don't have corn/vegetable oil, you can melt the same amount of butter and use it instead, and it actually makes things quite tastey. (ok, not exactly the same, but the same idea)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      That is correct. I can only seem to find testimonials. I'm very interested in your source. Could you please provide the link?

                      I'm so happy about your situation though

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Okay, I am trying to find the original article I read...which was around Nov. 1st last year. Give me a few minutes

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thank you

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Found it

                            http://www.purelypets.com/articles/f...eresthesia.htm

                            "Research has shown that a low quality diet -- meaning a diet loaded with chemicals, fillers, stabilizers, coloring agents, sodium nitrate (found to produce epileptic-like changes in the brain activity of rats who ate it regularly) and by-products -- can lead to allergies, nervousness, hypertension, diabetes, weight problems, dry skin, and many other common ailments."

                            This is why I stay away from grocery store brands, and advise all my friends to do the same.

                            But according to this, your cat would have hyperesthesia, which is not actually seizures, but rather tweaks your cat developes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              okay alcoth...found it

                              Look under www.c2cdr.org/health_epilepsy.html
                              Go to prevention plan under paragraph 3 and next paragraph.....this saved my cats live....I am so glad I found it and it worked for her....she is seizure free!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X