Announcement

Collapse

REPORTING THREADS

I know that I'm not around enough, as are none of the other moderators, and I apologize for all of us as a whole.

BUT! Please please please report posts that shouldn't be here. We don't allow the sale of puppies or kittens, but let's all be honest here, the sale of any pet is frowned upon. Being rude or nasty to each other is strongly discouraged. And spamming will get you banned for life.

WE depend on YOU-the loyal members of this forum, to let us know when someone is posting something that is against the forum rules.

Thank you all!
Lisa
See more
See less

Fancy Feast vs Pro Plan cat food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're lucky and so was your cat!

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
      You guys might want to check this out...check out the first paragraph
      http://blog.roodo.com/sabrinashu/archives/8050827.html
      according to your link sodium nitrates may cause seizures in cats.

Sodium nitrate, which commonly used in dry cat food, has been shown in clinical trials to cause seizures in cats that are similar to epileptic attacks.
      Where were these clinical trials done? where are the results of these clinical trials? How many and for how long were these trials conducted?

In addition, as has been said, nitrates or nitrites, either one, which are added to some pet foods may not be good for cats, and may cause seizures in cats that are similar to epileptic attacks, this does not mean that nitrites (or nitrates) are the sole cause of seizures in cats, or even the main cause of seizures in cats.

Your experience and the information your provided this forum is useful and appreciated. Your insistence that the nitrites in fancy feast are the sole cause of seizures in cats is not.

Comment

Originally posted by furrypurry View Post
        Not to add more confusion to this discussion but just wanted to say that my Tessie who lived to be 22 ate Fancy Feast for years and up until she died. She never had any kind of seizure. Her demise was due to old cat kidney failure.
        This discussion is not confusing at all. It makes perfect sense to me, but then...I've been researching like crazy and learning all sorts of interesting tid-bits regarding this topic.

From everything I researched from the first post regarding the Sodium Nitrates, they don't generally cause seizures alone. They sort of...add fuel to the fire, so to speak.

For instance, human adults eat lunch meat (full of sodium nitrates!) and are just fine. But, there are some human brains that have a sensitivity to the chemical, therefore, causing them to seize. Sodium Nitrates do not 'cause' seizures unless there's a sensitivity to it. There has to be something else wrong before you (or your cat) will seize from it.

You did well for your kitty to make it to 22. Did you have her since it was a kitten? She had to be a really close friend, and it must have been hard losing her.

Comment

Originally posted by tiffers View Post
          You did well for your kitty to make it to 22. Did you have her since it was a kitten? She had to be a really close friend, and it must have been hard losing her.
          You know, Tessie was just a special girl. I picked her from a litter of kittens a friend's cat had and it was one of those IMMEDIATE special bonds. We lived in a rural area when I got her. She was allowed to go outside when she wanted. I was young at the time and thought cats needed to be outside (I have indoor only cats now) and she absolutely loved her freedom. We lived at that location until she was about 11 years old when we moved to a condo in town because we sold our house and were in transition before building another. I was worried about her having to stay indoors but she took that in stride, too. She was just a very laid back cat who went along with anything that came her way. Like I said we were so bonded I think she was just happy to be with me. We then moved to another house and even though I allowed her go to outside I think she had decided she liked it best indoors - might have had something to do with her age. She would go out on the deck and walk around in the yard with me but wanted to come back in as soon as I did. I would go home from work at lunch and let her outside but she always wanted to be back in before I left. She was diagnosed with kidney diease at around age 18 and I had to learn to do the subQ fluids, which I did for almost 4 years. She just got progressively sicker and thinner and then was diagnosed with diabetes. I just couldn't put her through anymore so my husband and I agreed it was time. We had a marvelous vet who came to our house and it was all very peaceful. But I really thought I was going to die, too. She had been with me for so long, since right after I got married, and had moved with us so many times. She is now buried in my yard with a granite marker we had made which reads "Tessie, 1979-2001, Our Angel Kitty". I go and visit her quite often, and I know she'll always be a part of me.

Comment

Aw, she really does sound special to you. Isn't it amazing the bond people can have with an animal?

Comment

marti.
              do you have a thorough list of which fancy feast varieties do or don't (depending on length) contain sodium nitrite.

my eyesight is not good, and reading the labels is a real struggle.

Comment

Matthius, not all of them do. But, I will tell you to not even both with Fancy Feast. It's a very, very low quality food.

Comment

Matthius, not all of them do. But, I will tell you to not even both with Fancy Feast. It's a very, very low quality food.
                  Tiffers, what canned food would you suggest.

Please, I am not trying to start a debate here or anything. It is just that I do feed my office cats Fancy Feast, thinking it was a good food. Heck it smells pretty good when I open the can and looks like small chunks of meat in gravy.

We expect to be adopting a kitten or two soon so I would like to start out right here and also change what I am feeding my office cats.

Even though the office cats sort of belong to everyone...... well I am the one who gets their food and helps see to their needs.
                  ATTITUDE! Life is 10% what happens to one and 90% how one reacts to it! sigpic

Comment

Diane, you have two options...you can go a step up to foods like Science Diet, Purina One/Pro Plan, Iams, Eukanuba, etc. Or, you can even take it a step further and go to foods like Wellness Core, Instinct, Canidae, Evo, Innova, etc. The more you pay for the food, the better quality it will be. I'll always advise people to feed what they can afford, but buy the most expensive food you can afford, as well.

Just by looking at the ingredients of most Fancy Feasts, it's just a filler...there are hardly ANY nutritional ingredients in it.

Comment

Ok, thanks Tiffers.

I guess one would get Science Diet or the others from a pet store?
                      ATTITUDE! Life is 10% what happens to one and 90% how one reacts to it! sigpic

Comment

Yes. Of all the 'grocery' foods...I am a Purina One/Pro Plan person. I just feel like their ingredients are of better quality than that of the other brands. Royal Canin is nice, I suppose, too...but, they really sell themselves on those silly breed specific diets.

Comment

I feed my cats the fancy feast canned and dry. I have tried to switch but they will not eat anything else. How could I get them to eat something else?

Comment

Diane, you have two options...you can go a step up to foods like Science Diet, Purina One/Pro Plan, Iams, Eukanuba, etc. Or, you can even take it a step further and go to foods like Wellness Core, Instinct, Canidae, Evo, Innova, etc. The more you pay for the food, the better quality it will be. I'll always advise people to feed what they can afford, but buy the most expensive food you can afford, as well.

Just by looking at the ingredients of most Fancy Feasts, it's just a filler...there are hardly ANY nutritional ingredients in it.

I agree with your food logic Tiff, but you can pay $70 for Orijen or Wellness and you could pay $100 for some Hills foods that aren't even medicinal. I assume that Hills products (cannin, medi-cal) are better then your typical grocery store brands, but I have a hard time seeing much of a difference. They have preservatives, by products, and fillers. I was just wondering, since your a tech and you probably know these foods well, what makes them better then the grocery store foods? Is the quantity of preservatives and fillers etc lesser then what's in the grocery store foods? I'm not trying to start a debate or anything, but I'm curious.
                            Ariel

Comment

Originally posted by Akadma View Post
                              I agree with your food logic Tiff, but you can pay $70 for Orijen or Wellness and you could pay $100 for some Hills foods that aren't even medicinal. I assume that Hills products (cannin, medi-cal) are better then your typical grocery store brands, but I have a hard time seeing much of a difference. They have preservatives, by products, and fillers. I was just wondering, since your a tech and you probably know these foods well, what makes them better then the grocery store foods? Is the quantity of preservatives and fillers etc lesser then what's in the grocery store foods? I'm not trying to start a debate or anything, but I'm curious.
                              ...erm, what Hill's food is $100 that isn't for a specific disease or purpose?

It's my opinion that the bigger companies have better quality of ingredients...the amount of them in the food, etc. A lot of things come in to play when you're looking at food. It's just a general rule of thumb that 'you get what you pay for'...but, that's not all you need to do. You need to do your research if you're serious about getting your animals in the right track, you know? Don't bother with commercials and how Pedigree boasts it's greatness, we all know that's a load of fecal matter.

While I do not like the ingredients or quality of a prescription diet, I have seen the magic they work on the bloodwork and the patient's disease...I don't think a prescription diet should be included in a 'normal diet' discussion. They are on their own level, if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by cslenker View Post
                                How could I get them to eat something else?
                                What all have you tried to feed them?

If I put potato chips and ice cream in front of you on one place, and on the other I had asparagus and broccli...which bowl would you snack on?

Comment

Working...
                                X