Announcement

Collapse

REPORTING THREADS

I know that I'm not around enough, as are none of the other moderators, and I apologize for all of us as a whole.

BUT! Please please please report posts that shouldn't be here. We don't allow the sale of puppies or kittens, but let's all be honest here, the sale of any pet is frowned upon. Being rude or nasty to each other is strongly discouraged. And spamming will get you banned for life.

WE depend on YOU-the loyal members of this forum, to let us know when someone is posting something that is against the forum rules.

Thank you all!
Lisa
See more
See less

cat SWALLOWED a sewing needle!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cat SWALLOWED a sewing needle!

My cat, Derek, swallowed a sewing needle just before midnight on Sat., Jan. 26th. I called the emergency vet clinic. They said to bring him in for x-rays, which would have been a 1 hour trip. I decided to ask for symptoms of a problem, because the cat seemed fine -- except I knew he had swallowed a needle. I asked the vet if I could feed him to put something in his stomach with the needle to cushion it. He said that would put bulk around it. I fed him immediately. I watched him all night long! He seemed fine. I fed him the next morning, and at lunch, and in the early afternoon. He finally "pooped" at 7:00 p.m. on Sun., 1-27, 19 hours after swallowing it. The needle was in it --vertical and imbedded. The stool was normal -- no blood, etc...

I called my regular vet today (Mon., 1-28). They couldn't believe it! They said he sounds fine, but they recorded his incident in his records, just in case.

What did you feed him?
    If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one. ~Andy Rooney
    Anne

RIP Cookie, I miss you, terribly
    Cash
    Caley
    Tink
    Romeo and Casanova
    Calliope and Clio

Comment

His regular food - dry Purina Kitten Chow. I really didn't think to give him anything different. I was in such a state of panic!

Comment

Well, at least it ended ok.
        If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one. ~Andy Rooney
        Anne

RIP Cookie, I miss you, terribly
        Cash
        Caley
        Tink
        Romeo and Casanova
        Calliope and Clio

Comment

OMG, how scary! I'm glad he passed it with no injuries.
          Jennie, Gary & our kids:

cat colony: Hunter S Tomcat, Archie and Mehitable, Witch, and Calamity Jane, Cuddlebug, Havana, Ghost, Spitfire Liz, Little Bit, Jesse, Moe, Cali, Stardust, Anastasia & Christy, Sally and the 5 boys

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

rip Tiger, Rabbit, Two Stars, Angel,Elaine, Mungo Jerry, Tex and Ijimus. I'll meet y'all at the bridge.

Comment

im so glad for u that ur cat was ok

Comment

You and Derek were very lucky, it doesn't always turn out so well.
              sigpic
              Max - resting in peace...click on his name to read his story...
              (All shelter adopted or saved from the streets )

Comment

Thanks!
                I spent ALL of Sunday afternoon/evening reading in the internet about other cats that had swallowed needles and/or pins. All the things I found said major surgery and/or death. I cried and cried and cried. I was going to take him to my vet on Monday when he passed it on Sunday night!

I had told my Sunday school class about it and I called a friend of mine (another animal lover and rescuer). She said she would pray for him. When I called her, she said that she prayed and prayed that the needle would travel straight down!

Derek is a rescue of sorts. My son got him out from under a "hunting" jeep that was in our yard. Our lab, Alley, heard him meowing and tried to get him. My son spent 3 hours trying to catch him and finally did. We took him to the vet (he had an upper respir. infection); he weighed 1 lb. 3 oz. and was maybe MAYBE 6 weeks old. I live in the country far off the road; we have no idea how he got under that jeep and by our Lab to begin with. He could not even eat dry food. That was in June 2007. He is now an inside cat with 7 lives left! He used one the night we found him under that jeep and one the night he swallowed the sewing needle.

Comment

So my wife thinks our cat Isaac swallowed a sewing needle last night. I googled "cat ate sewing needle" and got to this site... neet-o

Now the question is "what to do?" As soon as my wife saw him swipe a thread with a needle from her sewing kit, we immediately took chase. We were both on the bed and my wife was doing some hemming, so Isaac thought this was a good time to play with something dangerous... typical cat, no?

From the time that he swiped the thread until the time that we saw that it was no longer in his mouth, I cannot imagine that Isaac had enough time to swallow it. He was basically on the run the whole time, and a sewing needle is not something you can down in a second or two... not that I tried to swallow one myself, although we could experiment on Noah, our other cat... never mind.

Anyway, I'm going to check Isaac's stool today to see if I can find either blood (that would be bad) or the needle (that would be good)... or maybe nothing at all (not sure if that's bad or good). I looked high and low... ok he's a cat, so mostly low... for the needle and thread but to no avail. Either Isaac indeed swallowed it in an instant, or it vanished into thin air, or my wife needs to get her vision checked. I really hope it vanished... we don't have vision coverage again until next year.

I'll post again soon to give an update.... thanks!! Jordan

Comment

Have you looked absolutely everywhere he was for the needle? I know they are fast, but it does seem more likely that he dropped it than swallowed it with the two of you watching him. If you have thick carpet I learned the hard way (walking barefoot) that a needle can hide very well in the pile. Maybe runnig a magnet around would locate it?

Generaly cats are not as lucky as the above mentioned kitty. If he were mine I would be at the vet first thing for an x ray, if it meant not paying the electric bill or whatever. I hate to imagine all the damage a sewing needle could do on it's way through his system.

Please let us know how it works out.
                    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

cat colony: Hunter S Tomcat, Archie and Mehitable, Witch, and Calamity Jane, Cuddlebug, Havana, Ghost, Spitfire Liz, Little Bit, Jesse, Moe, Cali, Stardust, Anastasia & Christy, Sally and the 5 boys

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

rip Tiger, Rabbit, Two Stars, Angel,Elaine, Mungo Jerry, Tex and Ijimus. I'll meet y'all at the bridge.

Comment

Afraid sew (pardon the pun)

Well, I went to check on Isaac and there was a long thread hanging out of his rectum. He's not showing any discomfort, so I cut off the excess thread to avoid either of the cats playing with it or stepping on it, etc.

I remember my older cat used to eat tinsel off the Christmas tree, so I looked up "cat eating tinsel" on google some time ago and came across an article that suggests to never remove it from the cat's rectum... just cut off the part that's hanging out and wait for him to eliminate. Trying to remove it, even slowly and gently, can cause rupture.

I called the animal hospital, and they said that since there are no open appointments, I would have to pay $120 on top of the consult... which would likely prove meaningless since the needle is probably embedded in stool anyway. He's a fat cat... he's always eating.

I'll let you all know once I find the present in the litter box.

Thanks again! Jordan

P.S. There was no blood anywhere on him or on any stool in the litterbox today, or I would have taken him in to the animal hospital for sure.

Comment

Holy cow, if one of mine had swallowed a needle, I would have had canaries and got her/him to the emergency vet LOL! So very glad this turned out so very well for you!
                        Purrs,
                        Pookster
                        Radioactive cats have 18 half lives.

Comment

mamartin, Thank God that Derek is ok! As others said, you were very lucky!

Jsberson, I don't know that I would wait, even if it is expensive. I would be a nervous wreck.
                          In situations like these, my concern really isn't money. I hope everything turns out alright.
                          Please keep us posted.
                          Pics of Honey:
                          http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/q...hswithkong.jpg
                          http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/q...DSCN0285-1.jpg
                          http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/q...oneyonwalk.jpg
                          http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/q...eywtginkit.jpg
                          http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/q...05072261-1.jpg
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          RIP my kitties
                          Patches
                          Fluffy

Comment

It's nearly 5:00 am and the thread remains. If at the next trip to the box it's not gone, I'll bring him in for sure. He's not showing any signs of discomfort, so it's pretty safe to say the needle is embedded in stool and will come out shortly. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

I am happy to report that Mr. Isaac and the needle have finally separated without any injury to either party... although I'm sure the needle is not terribly happy with spending a day and a half going through Isaac's digestive system, and being embedded in dung for a good part of that time. The needle will find its final resting place somewhere in the wonderful world of wherever it is that toilet water flows through after it is flushed. And now my wife will hopefully keep the sewing kit closed as long as she wants to avoid further anguish on my part.

Take care!!! Jordan

Comment

Working...
                              X