Announcement

Collapse

REPORTING THREADS

I know that I'm not around enough, as are none of the other moderators, and I apologize for all of us as a whole.

BUT! Please please please report posts that shouldn't be here. We don't allow the sale of puppies or kittens, but let's all be honest here, the sale of any pet is frowned upon. Being rude or nasty to each other is strongly discouraged. And spamming will get you banned for life.

WE depend on YOU-the loyal members of this forum, to let us know when someone is posting something that is against the forum rules.

Thank you all!
Lisa
See more
See less

How do I stop my cat from scratching everywhere?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I stop my cat from scratching everywhere?

Hey everyone! I've always loved cats and I've finally got a kitten last week. I took it to the vet and got it vaccined and bought all cat nutrition stuffs. I'm super excited to have him. But then his fur is causing lot of trouble. Also he is scratching down the whole place. He's managed to get his nail marks on almost all the furniture. Yesterday, when my house owner came in for a visit, she totally didn't like the marks and was complaining already. I'm worried she is gonna ask me to leave soon. However, somewhere I was prepared for this and I've been inquiring for home mortgages to get a condo of my own. But, since things won't work that quick, I want some temporary solution for this. How do I stop my kitten from getting his nails on all furniture. Please do help me with your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried any citrus sprays? Apparently cats really dislike strong citrus smell which might deter him from scratching.

Comment

Originally posted by LissGirl View Post
      Hey everyone! I've always loved cats and I've finally got a kitten last week. I took it to the vet and got it vaccined and bought all cat nutrition stuffs. I'm super excited to have him. But then his fur is causing lot of trouble. Also he is scratching down the whole place. He's managed to get his nail marks on almost all the furniture. Yesterday, when my house owner came in for a visit, she totally didn't like the marks and was complaining already. I'm worried she is gonna ask me to leave soon. However, somewhere I was prepared for this and I've been inquiring for home mortgages to get a condo of my own. But, since things won't work that quick, I want some temporary solution for this. How do I stop my kitten from getting his nails on all furniture. Please do help me with your suggestions. Thanks in advance.
      Scratching is a necessary and important behavior in cats. You need to provide your kitten with appropriate places to scratch and teach him to use them instead of your furniture.

Get plenty of scratchers, of different types, cats like variety. They need to be very sturdy, and the upright ones need to be TALL, cats use scratching to stretch and exercise as well as for communication and marking.

Get cardboard ones, and sisal. Curved, upright, slanted and flat.

IN the mean time cover your furniture and put sticky tape on the woodwork to protect them while he learns to use his own things.

How old is your kitten? What's his name? Is he neutered yet?

Feed your kitten a species appropriate diet. This means no dry "food". As he's growing he will need a lot of canned food, four or five meals a day as much as he can eat at one sitting. As he gets older you will be able to cut back to 3 meals a day.

He shouldn't be shedding yet, well, you didn't say how old he is but kittens don't usually shed much. You need to get him on a good diet right away. Dry diets are terrible for cats and lead to all kinds of illnesses later in life and some not so much later. Urinary tract disease and blockages are especially a problem in dry fed male cats.

Your kitten needs you to play with him multiple times a day, also. Never ever use your hands or feet as toys. Always have a toy in your hand, and give him a safe stuffed animal of his own size for biting and kicking. Throw and chase games are good to give him lots of running. Don't be surprised if he fetches the toys back to you.

String on a stick toys are good too, especially for getting him climbing and scratching his own furniture, but be sure to never leave any kind of string toy (or any kind of string at all) out when it's not being used. String is very dangerous to cats.

Congratulations on your new baby. What's his name?

Comment

Spraying 6 doses of feliway spray to the scratched area at least for a month could help stop the scratching. Also provide your cat with a scratching post somewhere near where he sleeps. This could help and prevent you from getting into trouble with your landlord.
        Pets are our beloved friends lets treat them with compassion

Comment

Clip your cat nails regularly.
          Buy Online Cat Scratchers, Cat Harnesses, Cat Litter Boxes

Comment

Thing you should try some home remedies. They work best. Why don't you read articles that tell you a lot about this problem.

Comment

My cat has the same problem, but I don't know how to handle this.

Comment

Working...
              X