PDA

View Full Version : Swelling and redness on lower lips??

pengwen
07-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Hi!

Our 3 yr old German Shepherd, Kai, has suddenly developed a problem with his lower lips. On both sides of the muzzle, his lips are red, slightly swollen and no longer resting firmly against the jaw. He hasn't eaten or been exposed to anything new which might have caused an allergy attack and there are no signs of insect bites or abrasions.

Since his appetite and over-all health are ok, the vet said to observe the problem over the weekend and call them again on Monday, but meanwhile our Kai Kai is experiencing some discomfort (only mild) and I'm experiencing some panic (not as mild :o ). I'm afraid of a possible baceterial infection, although that may be totally unwarranted.

Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Thanks!

a close-up of Kai's lip:
http://tinyurl.com/2u2tw

a few more pics of his lip and muzzle:
http://www.picturetrail.com/kpelle

mirrasmom
07-09-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm sorry, I dont have any answers for you, but if Kai seems to be in pain, I would give him some asprin (double check with your vet on the dosage). I know my little dog (21lbs) can only have one children's asprin, but larger dogs are usually fine with 1 or 1 half of an adult asprin.
I looked on the pet symptom solver website and didnt see anything like Kai is experiencing exactly.
Here is the site if you want to take a look: http://www.ivillage.com/pets/petsymptomsolver/mouth/pages/0,,413232_501273,00.html
My first thought is infection (which could be something very mild) or an insect bite or sting even if you cant see the mark.

I hope its one of those things that just goes away. Keep us updated.

Cat&Dog mom
07-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Is it possible he may have got his mouth stuck in the fence, if you have a chain link fencem it sounds like from your description he may have gotten stuck on something or he was chewing on something if it's just at the corners of his mouth.

Oops didn't see you had pics of him, and might I say he is a very handsome boy, but I would still say I would wait and don't panic to much it doesn't look to bad from the pics, give it a couple of days and go from there. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jerica
07-12-2004, 06:57 PM
I agree with Cat&Dog mom I think it looks like he was chewing on something he shouldn't have, such as the fence or something. I would wait and see what happens. I looks like it might heal up soon. Btw, he is a beautiful dog! :)

KCCaneCorsos
07-12-2004, 08:58 PM
I'm sorry that I don't have any suggestions for you, my dogs always look like that! (They have droopy jaws) However since GSD's don't usually look like that I can see where you were worried. But I agree with the others that it doesn't LOOK like anything serious and if he is eating and drinking that's a good sign too. I have also given my dogs asprin, they can have 3 (81 mg) at a time and they weigh just over 100 lbs. Just make sure it is plain uncoated aspirin. Let us know what the vet says if you end up taking him!

mirrasmom
07-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Any update on Kai?

maccabi14
08-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Any update on Kai? - my 6year old cocker spaniel is having the same problem and I would like to know what worked. Did it take medication?
It started on one side of his mouth and then after a couple of days started to spread to the other side of his mouth. I tried benadryl for a couple of days but with no success. We just came from the vet and she was a bit confused as well but said it looks like an allergic reaction to something and so she gave him a shot of prednisone - let's hope it works.

DachshundDuo
08-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Hi Pengwen -

I have a little dog that has mouth sores, but his does not look like the pictures of your dog. Just by looking at the pictures it looks as if his lips are swollen pretty good. Did the Vet start him on an antibiotic to see if that will help? Also, I always have prednisone on hand for my dachshund because he will occasionally develope swelling. Prednisone is a steriod used to decrease inflamation and also for breating for problems. Mirasmom suggested aspirin which is a good idea, because that will also reduce the inflamation which in turn will reduce any pain assoccioated with the swelling.
Have you looked in his mouth for sores, ulcers or lesions? Does his breath smell bad - and I mean really bad like rotten meat? I smell Bubby's breath (my dachshund) every day because that is one of the ways how I know if he is getting worse. If your dog has a sore inside of his mouth it could make the outside swell.
Best wishes!

maccabi14
08-04-2004, 02:46 PM
I can tell you that it is not sores on my dog. My cocker has the same problem right now and the prednisone shot has done very little to help the swelling and redness of his lips. I have searched the internet and come across another case of this same thing, however just like this one, there is no update on the outcome. I am not sure what to do next as he has already seen the vet. Should I just wait and see if it starts to go away - it doesn't seem to be getting any worse right now but nothing seems to be helping. I am a bit surprised that the vet didn't try antibiotics as well but the swelling isn't bright red as seen in bacterial infections and it's not getting worse
SO FRUSTRATING!!!

DachshundDuo
08-05-2004, 09:55 PM
I have learned recently that my little guy probably has an immune disorder casing his problems - but he is going to be okay. I had to take him to a big Veterinary teaching hospital at Ohio State University to get the answers. They are excellent there. I highly recommend a teaching hospital if your primary vet is having problems diagnosing the cause of the swelling.

maccabi14
08-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Just wanted to update you all.
Bailey is slowly getting better. It has been almost two weeks now since the swelling showed up. The swelling has been going down VERY slowly. There is still a little bit but you can tell from looking at him now, just how bad the swelling was. Still not sure what caused it, but at least we see a good amount of improvement.

maccabi14
08-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Well, I just put on Bailey's Biospot the other day and it took just a couple of days and his mouth started to swell again. I didn't make the connection at first but when I did, WOW there seems to be a lot of problems with using Biospot on the internet. Including bad reactions, seizures and more. I washed the stuff off of him and it hasn't gotten any worse in the last few days. So I think I might have found the problem. Search the internet for Biospot and you come up with some bad stuff!!

DachshundDuo
09-01-2004, 01:14 AM
Give your dog some Benadryl to help stop the allergic reaction. My liitle one has taken 12.5mg in the past, so I'm sure that your German Shepard can easily handle a full 25mg.

I'm glad you found the problem!

looplocal
07-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Has anyone found out anything about the swollen floppy lip symptoms? My shepherd has the same symptoms. The vets don't know what is the cause...

tiffers
07-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Has anyone found out anything about the swollen floppy lip symptoms? My shepherd has the same symptoms. The vets don't know what is the cause...

Read up above, it may be something he's licking off that you've applied topically or maybe even after you mop or something he's licking the floor?

I know, also...sometimes, drinking and eating out of plastic bowls will cause red, irritated, swollen lips.

looplocal
07-22-2007, 01:23 PM
An exact picture of what her lips look like can be found here:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4702038&uid=2385144

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. I have tested the possibility that it might be something around the household and even changed her bowl to stainless steel. She is on strong antibiotics now and has to stay on them for another 4 weeks. They make her feel sick, I can tell. The vet doesn't know what it is, but says it might be an immune disease, in which case we have to take a biopsy of her lip. There have been a few owners who have posted photos of their dogs who have the exact same condition, but I can't contact them to find out what it is or was!

Please help my dog if you can. :(

micha
08-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Hii My GSD, Maya, has suddenly developed the same thing on the weekend. It appeared out of nowhere and i have no idea what it is. At the same time she also suffered from hotspots where she has some bald patches on her neck and it was painful to touch. She has been put on antibiotics and I have to apply antibiotic cream on her neck. Her neck is looking good but her mouth area doesn't look like it's getting better, although luckily not getting worse. Her gums also look a bit swollen too. I can't think of what she might have come into contact with, it's always the same old thing every day. She is also an outside dog.

BTW looplocal, how is your dog now that it's been a month since u posted???

An exact picture of what her lips look like can be found here:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4702038&uid=2385144

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. I have tested the possibility that it might be something around the household and even changed her bowl to stainless steel. She is on strong antibiotics now and has to stay on them for another 4 weeks. They make her feel sick, I can tell. The vet doesn't know what it is, but says it might be an immune disease, in which case we have to take a biopsy of her lip. There have been a few owners who have posted photos of their dogs who have the exact same condition, but I can't contact them to find out what it is or was!

Please help my dog if you can. :(

abogadalme
08-24-2007, 09:35 AM
hello- I am new here and have the same problem with my mini 9 year old dachshund. one side of her lips are swollen with bumps just like in the pictures posted. vet cant see her until monday.. i am very worried but she has energy and is eating drinking. unfortunately, she likes to lick the boy dog. this just started..are there any updates on the other dogs with this same condition? I have searched Internet for answers with little success. thanks!

micha
09-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Just an update on my GSD Maya. Her sores on her neck seems to have healed and the same with the sores on her mouth. We still don't know what caused it but we took some precautions such as preventing her from resting her chin on the rusted gate which could have been the cause. The vet gave her some antibiotic cream as well as tablets which she finished and I made her wear the elizabethan collar to stop her from scratching her neck. It took about a week to heal. I'm glad to say that she has healed nicely. :)

roskear
03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi

New to the site so not sure of how things work, but stumbled accross the site when searching for an answer to my GSD droopy/swollen Lip with lumpy 'feelers'?.. It starts right in the corners with some cracking, scabbing and dried solb, yuk!

He's 6 years old and we got a new puppy 3 weeks ago. AArhhh!!. I didn't know if if could be form the excess saliva as they are constantly playing and the puppies head is always wet with slobber.... has anyone alse had a similar thing as I can't think of anything else we've changed - same food, bedding, bowls etc.

bobby13
04-09-2008, 09:32 PM
My 2 yr old German Shepard, Sasquatch has the redness and swelling on her lower right lip. She is still eating and drinking however I can tell the area is sore and the area is causing her discomfort :( Looks exactly like the first thread of this topic's photos. I have been debating over why she is like this. We got her a new cheap plastic bowl and she was using it for the last week outside only for water until I pitched it today. Also my wife is out of town for the last week and I thought it may be nerves. Overall I feel it's probably reaction to plastic. I'm going to call my vet tomorrow - they will probably want me to bring her in. Whats a dog lover to do except take a trip to the vet. I will post updates for sure. This is a great site. Thanks to all for previous posts.

jacko
04-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I still go to the vet's advice.. it doesn't look that bad...

gmbourgeois
06-27-2008, 06:01 PM
My 2 yr old German Shepard, Sasquatch has the redness and swelling on her lower right lip. She is still eating and drinking however I can tell the area is sore and the area is causing her discomfort :( Looks exactly like the first thread of this topic's photos. I have been debating over why she is like this. We got her a new cheap plastic bowl and she was using it for the last week outside only for water until I pitched it today. Also my wife is out of town for the last week and I thought it may be nerves. Overall I feel it's probably reaction to plastic. I'm going to call my vet tomorrow - they will probably want me to bring her in. Whats a dog lover to do except take a trip to the vet. I will post updates for sure. This is a great site. Thanks to all for previous posts.
So how did things turn out? My little girl, gs mix, just began this exact symptom. It's Friday, so I'm not planning to have a vet check it out until Monday. Any info you could pass along would be great.

looplocal
12-25-2008, 08:46 PM
It turns out the irritation was mostly from her itching her lips causing them to redden and swell. The source was caused by lip fold pyoderma. The cure was an antibiotic regiment and more importantly to dry out their lips so the antibiotics can fully work. To dry them out track down a tin of Penaten Creme (its for baby diaper rash from Germany). I found a tin from a web site called smallflower.com. This cured my girl.

ehah01
01-20-2009, 12:03 PM
My 1 year old sheppard has the same problem...tried benadryl as recommended by the doc, he is 75 pounds now and took two tabs twice a day. No improvement. My older sheppard does not have the problem. I'm taking thumper to the vet again today, thanks for the information on the antibiotics and lip drying.

jeanej1
02-13-2009, 12:02 AM
My Wilson, German shephard also, turns 2 in May and has been having the same red lips off and on since he was aabout 10 months old. He also gets the ear infections but after sevearl Vet visits and hundreds of dollars i can help cure that on my own after lots of computer research. He does get allergies and prone to yeast infections but the yogurt seemed to help him.
I just can't get this lip thing down? 2 weeks ago i ran out of this pet OPC-3 stuff that i was trying for his allergies which seems to have really helped but since i stopped the stuff his chewing his belly/thigh area and his lips are the reddest i have ever seen them. Has anyone made any breakthroughs yet???
This time it looks so irratating for him. I feel bad and want to help him but can't see a vet right now.
I did give him some Aloe vera juice just i give my family since it helps us with everything.
Please keep the updates coming.
Thanks
Jeanie

bobby13
11-30-2009, 09:33 AM
I posted about my German Shepard, Sasquatch and her swolen lips a while ago. In time the swelling went down. She is still active, alert and overall looks great but her lip swollen issue is back. It was not a plastic bowl problem. It is now beginning winter here in Iowa and I am going to stop using Front Line. This MAY be the reason for her reaction. I will definately post more as time goes by and will check this thread also. Here is what I want to know also - what the heck did we do before Front Line and Bio Spot??? As kids we just washed the dog. We are super clean peep and fleas and ticks were never a big issue back in the 70's, 80's and 90's. No we have to give them a chemical??? I'll be back.

CKelly976
11-30-2009, 02:38 PM
I posted about my German Shepard, Sasquatch and her swolen lips a while ago. In time the swelling went down. She is still active, alert and overall looks great but her lip swollen issue is back. It was not a plastic bowl problem. It is now beginning winter here in Iowa and I am going to stop using Front Line. This MAY be the reason for her reaction. I will definately post more as time goes by and will check this thread also. Here is what I want to know also - what the heck did we do before Front Line and Bio Spot??? As kids we just washed the dog. We are super clean peep and fleas and ticks were never a big issue back in the 70's, 80's and 90's. No we have to give them a chemical??? I'll be back.

Fleas have gotten worse, my family dog went 10 yrs without flea meds and is now on them. If frontline isn't working or is causing the problem try switching to advantage, I've had better results on it as far as flea prevention and it was less expensive.

please don't switch to OTC flea meds or flea shampoos.

bobby13
11-30-2009, 05:55 PM
My German Shepard's mouth is broke out/has an inflamed lip. She is scratchin more and I have discovered some minor red bumps where she can scratch and gnaw on herself. She has been on antibiotics b4 and they help. So we did that within the last year and now I am back to where we started. Prob not Frontline. Who knows? Has anyone heard of Spaying your dog to soon? Some reports say this may lead to hormones not normally being released by the dog and immune deficientcy may cause a dog to be more suseptable to immune deficientcies - allergies. My poor babe Sasquatch is more than likely gonna have to go back on meds - yuck! Anymore peep with insight please post. This is no rusty fence chewing issue or plastic bowl I'm convinced.

snowboardmom
03-25-2011, 12:44 AM
My Lab's lower lips look exactly like your German Shepard's. It has been going on for two months, no worse, no better, and no answers. I recently tried a generic antibiotic ointment (like neosporin), and thought I saw a little improvement, but only slight. Good luck! :)

special
03-25-2011, 07:40 AM
My Lab's lower lips look exactly like your German Shepard's. It has been going on for two months, no worse, no better, and no answers. I recently tried a generic antibiotic ointment (like neosporin), and thought I saw a little improvement, but only slight. Good luck! :)

Why not take your dog to the vet rather than play guessing games? The original poster has not come back in 7 years (LOL) but I see this thread is revived periodically as people come looking for help with droopy lipped dogs. Usually a diagnosis from the vet is the best place to start.

Shrikewood
10-20-2011, 07:30 PM
First, many thanks to the people who took the time to post in this forum re the above issue. Our 2 year old german shepherd, Lennox, had exactly the same symptoms as the ones in this post. Her lips looked exactly like Kai's and it was reassuring to know that others had it and so it must be something at least relatively common/known.

I took her to the vet and also e-mailed the vet the pictures from this site and the site address itself and she took the time to read them. Her name is Dr Lindsay Leckie and she's pretty awesome. She pretty much knew what the issue probably was and she prescribed a 21 day regimen of Cephalexin (500 mg caplets - 1.5 tablets twice a day - Lennox weighs about 60 pounds) and an oral antibiotic cream - mycillin I think (?). Anyway, I think it was the Cephalexin that did the trick as I only put the cream on 3 or 4 times as she pretty much licked it off right away anyway. (Lennox, not Dr Leckie. :). If anyone really wnats to know the name of the cream, I can find out.

All to say, the issue completely cleared up. Now, we had to go pretty much the entire 3 weeks before it was finally totally gone - I'd say about 17 or 18 days although we did notice a diminishment as the days went by.

Also, a good idea to give yogurt as you're giving the regimen of antibiotics as, like us humans, Lennox then got a subsequent yeast infection in her ear and I infer that, like us, her good bacteria were killed along with the bad leading to the yeast infection. I could be wrong on that but then, again, yogurt wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks to this forum and Dr Leckie.

Sunshineboy
09-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Our shepherd cross also has the red hanging lips that are described on this forum. We got our vet to prescribe the Cephalexin as indicated in Strikewood's post. He was fine after 18 days...the course of antibiotics was for 3 weeks. 3 weeks after we stopped the antibiotics, the redness and hanging came back and he is now back on the antibiotics for another 3 weeks. Just wondering from all of you who have posted previously or not posted but whose canines are also suffering from this disorder, if this ever goes away altogether or is it a chronic condition. Seems that vets know very little about this disorder and in fact, it is the first time my vet is treating such a condition. Any advice in this regard would be appreciated. Thanks!