PDA

View Full Version : Emergency! My Cat Drank Antifreeze!! Please Help!

JOJO'SMOM
05-08-2004, 10:20 PM
This Cat Lives At My Father's House. He Called Me Earlier Yeterday And Informed Me That His Dog Chopper Was Vomiting And Was Brought To The Vet And Diagnosed With Antifreeze Poisioning. He Was Put To Sleep. A Day Later He Discovered That One Of His Cats Was Also Vomiting And Acting Lathargic. When I Got There Today The Cat Was Lying In The Grass And Seizing. There Are No Emergency Vet Clinics Available In My Area. I Brought The Cat Home And Am Trying To Keep Her Comfortable. I Really Don't Think She Will Make It Until I Can Get Her Into A Vet. Does Anyone Know Of Any Over The Counter Products That I Give Her To Help Ease The Pain And Symptoms? I Hate To See This Cat Suffer So Much. I Know This Sounds Horrible, But I Am Considering Ending Her Suffering Myself, But I Just Don't Think I Am Capable Of Doing This. Some Websites Sugjest That She Is To Far Along For Treatment, But That It Could Take Days For Her To Pass Away. I Can't Stand To Watch Her Suffer This Way. Please, If Anyone Has Any Suggestions Or Has Had An Animal Go Through This, Please Help!

dogmom3
05-08-2004, 10:51 PM
It sounds like it may be too late for the cat. I have no first hand knowledge. Everything I've heard or seen about antifreeze poisoning stresses immediate vet care,even then the outlook isn't great. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

krazy4birds
05-09-2004, 12:47 AM
Please take the cat IMMEDIATLY to the Vet and euthinized will be more compassionate that what it is going through now

NiteRose
05-09-2004, 02:32 PM
There is no vet anywhere you can take it?? I don't know what else to say, other then I would be calling every vet in my phone book, even if you end up having to drive a bit far, it will at least end her suffering :(

Cat&Dog mom
05-09-2004, 07:23 PM
I have to agree, I couldn't wait, there has to be somewhere to help her be out of misery, there probably won't be anything they can do but to put her to sleep, but at least she won't be suffering anymore. I'm so sorry. Let us know what happens.

JOJO'SMOM
05-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Thank you all for your replies. My husband and I agreed with you all. We dropped our kids off at my father's and drove an hour and a half to a vet hospital. We had to call ahead because the vet was on call. Thankfully though, Black's suffering was ended. I think that this was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. The worst part of all this is that it appears to be an intentional poisioning by a neighbor. Not meant for the cat, but for my sister's pit bull who was put to sleep the day before because of anti-freeze poisioning. One positive was that his other cat Blue (my son named the cats Black and Blue!) was saved! He did not show any signs of poisioning and was taken to a family members home. Thank you all so much for your help during a painful situation.

JOJO'SMOM
05-10-2004, 12:46 PM
I just have one more thing to add. Out of ignorance comes fear, and out of fear of a fenced in pit bull pup two innocent animals were killed. This has absolutely broken my heart. I can't understand why someone would want to make something suffer the way that these animals suffered. Black was a beautiful, loving companion for my father and it is not fair that she was taken away from him for no reason. She was so loving that just minutes before her death and all the way through her sickness she was purring. I just really needed to voice my anger at the ignorance of some people. God Bless you all and thank you from the bottom of my broken heart.

macassie
05-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Jojo's Mom,

I'm so sorry for your sister's and your father's loss. It's so awful that people are capable of such cruelty. My heart goes out to you and your family.

NiteRose
05-10-2004, 01:13 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your father's neighbor doing such a horrible horrible thing. I am very sorry for you and your families loss, but I am glad she is no longer suffering.

Has he called the cops? I know some State's that even if they do not have laws protecting animals, it would still be viewed as destruction of "property" it breaks my heart to hear it termed that way, but at least the neighbor may get punished.

dogmom3
05-10-2004, 06:17 PM
My prayers are with you and your family. That neighbor should be ashamed of themself. Pitbulls are trained to be mean, it isn't normally in their nature. The police should be notified so this person doesn't try it again.

Cat&Dog mom
05-10-2004, 08:37 PM
JoJo'smom, I'm sorry for your entire family's loss. Those poor babies suffering due to some %4$#ole,excuse that please but that is just a horrible way for them to die, they didn't deserve this. Please do inform the police and make a complaint or something, maybe them at the least paying a fine will make them think about doing it again.

KayNyne
05-18-2004, 11:11 PM
jojo'smom im also very sorry its haqrd to beleve somone could be that cruel isnt it the same thing happend to my grammas dog 4 days later she died of lonlyness

Jeanne4Cats
05-18-2004, 11:33 PM
My heart goes out to your dad and your sister!!! There are alot of elderly people out there who depend on their pets companionship to get through the days. There is nothing like having a pet who shows their loving devotion and ask for nothing in return so it breaks my heart to hear of this terrible ordeal. It will probably be very hard to prove who did it, but God knows and he doesn't forget!! Animals are God's creation too.....

hitchinlo
06-27-2004, 02:59 AM
I work in animal rescue...the things people do are UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! I had people shoot my abused horse, that took over a year to gain her trust, they shot her with orange paint balls, she's black and then threw a window into my pasture against eh barn. They and This person you deal with did a deliberate thought out nasty thing. Unfortunately unless you have a witness he won't get his until he meets his maker.
Something I have learned though through animal rescue....no matter how petty or stupid...make an incident report with your sherriff/police departments. Someday you or someone else may need it and you need to protect your loved ones!
my heart goes out to you. I've seen anti-freeze poisoning and it aint a nice thing.

my_cat_sissy
07-09-2004, 09:48 PM
You did the right thing taking the cat to the vet. My heart goes out to you. Even though it's the "right thing", it still hurts.

jubjubair
07-15-2004, 08:33 AM
I asked my mom and she is looking up info... She said that if you don't take it to poison control or a vet... Well, Sorry, your cat will DIE if you don't get it some where soon..... I mean fast.. Here Is more info on that antifreeze thing:

Antifreeze to animals taste sweet and it only taks 1/4 an ounce to be real fatal...
Animals like the smell of the antifreeze.....
Fortunatley in house care lab tests performed by vets can assist.... in the diognosis of antifreeze toxity....... You should kepp your poison chemical on high shelfs where your animals cant jump or climb to get to it.........
Antifreeze has a substance that can give your animal a drunken appearance 30 min. and hour after that....
After a while the animal appears to be recovering....
The animals liver begins matabolizing the substance....
It changes to a more toxic substance...
12 to 36 hours of ingestion the matabolites reach such a level that the kidneys stop functioning that the animal slips into a deep coma............. You should get it to a vet before 9 to 132 hours of integestion....... If you can't say bye, bye kittey.......So SORRY!!!! :(:(

JOJO'SMOM
08-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Thank you all for your replies. We found an adorable little kitten for my dad and he absolutely loves it! We did report what happened to the police, but without proof that this man actually intentionally killed both animals there isn't much we can do. My dad makes sure that his new kitty stays close by and is putting up a wooden fence between his land and his crazy neighbors land. I think that will help. Again thank you all for your support.

HuaHua
08-13-2004, 12:03 PM
I am so very sorry for your family's lost.

It's horrible there are such heartless people out there. Your dad may want to consider keep the kitty in door. I would not take any chances, with that kind of neighbor next door.

my_cat_sissy
08-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Good luck with your new fur family. I am happy for you.

briosis
08-13-2004, 08:52 PM
that is so sad